Monday, January 7, 2008

Life in the New Year

Well, sort of...I mean. The year's only started, right?
 
This is a bit long and rambly...just stuff floating around in brain that I want to get out.
 
I haven't been around much. That is to say, I've been reading my LiveJournal friends list (I love my peeps, but I can't contribute more than views and comments to my friends list to that place any longer) and replying occasionally, but I haven't been posting at all. I even saw the One Missed Call remake (it blew, by the way, but more on that in another post) and haven't posted a review. Shocking.
 
Anyway, the first movie I watched this year was the traditional Day of the Dead. I don't really understand why Romero fans are so down on this entry in the series...personally, the more I watch it, the more I love it. However, I suppose that with the underrated Land of the Dead here now, the fans have another target to aim at. By the by, this month's Fangoria has an article on Romero's Diary of the Dead AND a piece on Dario Argento's La Terza Madre. When I saw that issue in my mailbox, I nearly died, but then I would have come back because I would have needed to read it. Great articles, by the way, with fantastic interviews. Both gentlemen seem very excited about these flicks...energized and happy. It's different from the other articles which feature producers bullshitting their way through interviews about how whatever they're doing (even the upteenth zombie flick) is a fresh and daring take on an old favourite.
 
Diary of the Dead is currently slated for a February release (OMIGOD, THAT'S NEXT MONTH Y'ALL!!!) The Third Mother doesn't yet have one, that I know of...not that my theatre'd get it. The new G.M. thinks I need therapy because I love horror films. That's one film I would go to the local art house for. Their presentation's crappy, but man...to see a new Argento flick on the big screen, especially the finale of the Three Mothers Trilogy? Count me in.
 
Meanwhile, I've been desperate for some learnin'...I've been watching the documentaries I haven't yet watched on all of my horror movies. It's been pretty intense. So far, I think the most informative of the newest ones I watched was 30 Days in Hell which was included with Rob Zombie's The Devil's Rejects if you got the two disc set (is there a single disc set?) I also watched the Darkest Days documentary which came with the two disc (and all of the uber sets, I'm sure) of Ridley Scott's Final Cut of Blade Runner, and about a bazillion other things. I'd already watched all of the Alien Quadrilogy and Dawn of the Dead special stuff, and Full Tilt Boogie... And I watched Going to Pieces: The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Film yesterday. Almost made me change my mind about slasher films. Almost. It's just too bad that there really is no such philosophical thought put into most of the slashers made and released, especially lately. A good 93% of them are only there for blood and boobs and really don't do anything new.
 
I've also been reading. I started by trying to read all of Edgar Allen Poe. So far, I think my favourites are "Ligeia" and "The Fall of the House of Usher," but I've had to take a break. It's tough reading his stuff. I moved on to Clive Barker's newest, Mister B. Gone (highly recommend it if you like Clive Barker...it's a small book, but really good) and H.P. Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness which the wonderful Guillermo del Toro will be turning into a film. I don't know HOW exactly, but if anyone can, it's del Toro. When I finish that (included with the story was Lovecraft's essay on the Supernatural in Literature which is what I'm on now), I'll be reading my first Philip K. Dick book: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (the inspiration for Blade Runner.) I don't normally read sci-fi. I think Dune's it for me and I LOVE Frank Herbert's Dune Chronicles (yes, I know that Peter Berg is remaking Dune...yes, I am sad about that, but it can't be any worse than Sci-Fi's version. I hope, anyway.)
 
I've heard from one festival so far and that was my first official rejection notice, from the Almost Famous Film Festival. I figure that I'll do what Stephen King did and pin the rejections to the wall above my computer. Makes me look forward even more to doing the zombie flick, actually! I should be hearing from two more festivals this month: FirstGlance Hollywood and NewFilmmakers NY.
 
On another note, I received a call from Miss Kristin Mellian, the lead actress in Without/Within, about writing something for her and her fiancee. It's actually a pretty neat idea, but I've got to mull it over. It's not that I won't write it, but I haven't written something that wasn't my own idea in a very long while so I've got to let the idea percolate in m'brain.
 
I think that's it for now, of all the things I wanted to and can get out of my brain...

No comments: