Saturday, July 19, 2008

Prank: Yet another thing I'm insanely excited about...

I swear, if I didn't love writing and directing so much I would go into publicity for all the things I've hyped up and geeked out about, but this one is absolutely HUGE to me on many, many levels. On the other hand, I'm a little too opinionated to be a proper publicist...or critic, for that matter. Too picky.
 
I've already blabbered on about my love for actress Heather Langenkamp and I've already talked about how excited I am that she's directing one third of a horror anthology with Danielle Fisher and Ellie Cornell (both of Halloweens 4 and 5) taking on the other two parts. The film is called Prank and they've got an official site and a trailer for Fisher's section of the film, called "Madison."
 
The trailer for "Madison" looks really good (alright, I'll say it...the lead's hair reminds me of Ann-Margaret.) Fisher seems to have picked up a thing or two from Rob Zombie when she worked with him on Halloween. While his revisionist take on the flick wasn't very good (first half was great, second half was terrible and parts simply didn't make any sense), he's a good director and not a bad person to learn from. While I have a pretty good idea of what the denouement will be, I'm intrigued and I look forward to seeing it in the anthology.
 
As a woman who writes, directs, and is a fan of horror and sees few women in the genre to look up to, be it as actors or their characters or as behind-the-scenes crew, this is a phenomenal thing. While they didn't write the scripts they're directing, it's still huge. I'll admit that it's been years since I last saw Fisher and Cornell's Halloween movies, but Heather Langenkamp has had a huge impact on my life through Nancy Thompson and the A Nightmare on Elm Street films...
 
It's ridiculous how excited I am for this flick. It's true that if Heather Langenkamp* weren't involved in it, I wouldn't be as excited or even make an attempt to follow the production, but it's still something amazing to look forward to in a decade of studios playing it safe by revamping old or foreign horror flicks, forgetting what made them successful in the first place, or putting out films so bad and/or so stupid as to insult the viewer and effectively destroy the genre**.
 
* I simply can't refer to her by last name only...it's too weird. And referring to her as Heather has always been strange outside of conversations between myself and friends.
** Eli Roth, I'm lookin' at you...please don't screw up Cell.

2 comments:

Marvin said...

"Prank," hm? I'm glad you're excited!

I wanted to tell you that I always read what you write, even if I don't comment. You're a good writer.

Have you listed your blog on sarasotaspeaks.com? You might get some more traffic. If local traffic matters to you. It doesn't to me, but I listed mine anyway just for grins.

Lori said...

Aww! Thank you!

I've never heard of Sarasota Speaks, but I'll give it a look. Thank you!