Sunday, May 11, 2008

March / April / half-May round-up!

As far as Without/Within is concerned, I can sum up these two and a half months in one word: rejection. I know it's not the most technically polished short out there, but still...you know? Ah well. I still love it. It'll have to go on the DVD of the first feature I make.
 
As for my next project, I have not only decided on what it's going to be, I've already written the script. It still needs some tweaking, but I'm hoping to film it near the end of this year or the beginning of the next, depending on whether or not I get to go on vacation. It's a short film as I want to go over a few more technical things (lighting, mostly.) I recently purchased a book on cinematography written by John Alton called Painting With Light.
 
While film lighting and digital lighting are vastly different due to how sensitive digital cameras are, I thought it'd be a good idea to read a book by a guy whose film noir work is very highly regarded. It did help, and it did give me a few ideas, but it was very much like reading one of Oscar Wilde's home decor essays...which I didn't read, by the way, when I went through and read all the Wilde I could. If you saw my house, you'd understand why...
 
I'm still waiting to hear back from Cemetery Dance about the short story I sent them and I'm prepping another story to send to any magazine with a seven thousand word limit that accepts horror. Even following Stephen King's Second Draft Formula ("second draft = first draft - 10%"), it'd be around 6500 words, but the edit's coming along nicely.
 
I think that's all the news that's fit to print for now.

2 comments:

Marvin said...

Rejection builds character. ;-) As if you needed any, right?

I just saw "Now, Voyager" with Bette Davis (1940?) the other day. The lighting and scene composition in that film was absolutely stunning. And the soundtrack was beautiful too.

Lori said...

I'm not sure I needed this much character building, but whatever. It'll keep me in good stead for the next film. :D

I'll put that on my Netflix queue for the week after next! Thanks!