Thursday, April 12, 2012

Movie Reviews: The Cabin in the Woods (2012)

I've been excited to see this film since...Jesus, wasn't it shot in 2009? You attach Joss Whedon to my beloved genre, then add in David Leroy Anderson and AFX Studios (and, of course, therein adding Heather Langenkamp in a slightly tangential way and whom y'all know I adore :D) and you have an extremely happy fangirl who's been anxiously awaiting this flick and has been building it up in her mind for three years. With that kind of build up, there's plenty of distance to fall. And then, it was torture as some of my friends got to see it super early and were posting reviews and stuff and I was all like "LALALA! I'M NOT LISTENING!" while my fingers were stuck in my ears and I turned green with jealousy. I wasn't jealous in a hateful, spiteful way like "f**k them for being awesome..." or something, I was jealous because I would've loved to watch it with them and had someone to talk to about it.

Here's the gist of the plot: Five college kids go to a secluded cabin in the woods. Even though the film is fairly straight forward, to say any more might be a disservice to the film and to you, the viewer. As much as I've wanted to see this film, I've remained spoiler free for three years, watching only one trailer and not looking at any galleries or my Fango or even reading certain interviews with Whedon. I KNOW it helped me enjoy the film that much more. Trailer cutters put entirely too much into trailers these days.

I don't want to say too much more than that and possibly spoil anyone else's experience, but listen now and listen good: GO SEE THIS FILM IN THEATRES. It's fabulous! I loved it from fade in to blue band. The cast is pitch perfect, the story is awesome, the make-ups are spectacular (the visual effects were...okay), and keep your ears open for a very familiar voice. Though *NAME REDACTED*'s cameo is kind of random, especially considering that *GENDER SPECIFIC PRONOUN REDACTED* career never went into this territory, it's still freakin' awesome! For me, it's an instant top favourite.

Here's to hoping that the flood of ripoffs is more like a trickle.

No comments: